Michiganders are a proud bunch with unmistakable personalities all their own. Their state pride is unmatched, and you won’t find it elsewhere. Not surprisingly, residents of Michigan have their own special vocabulary and quirks you’ll only find in Pure Michigan.
Only People from Michigan:
- Use their hand to explain where they’re from--forget a map. Anyone from Michigan will show you on their left hand where they’re from. Because Michigan is shaped like a mitten, any good michigander knows exactly where on the “hand” their hometown is located.
- Drink pop, not soda--if you are looking for a cold, carbonated beverage while in Michigan, you’ll want to order a pop, not “soda” or “coke”. Don’t be surprised if you’re served Faygo.
- Know what a party store is--you can’t have a party without a trip to the party store, the place to buy your favorite beverages.
- Know what a yooper is, and go up north on vacation. Driving up north usually means driving up I-75 and vacationing in a cabin in the woods or a cottage on the lake. Michiganders affectionately describe those from the Upper Peninsula, or U.P., as “yoopers”.
- Can properly pronounce Mackinac, euchre, Ypsilanti, and Sault St. Marie. Letters be darned--michiganders know the proper way to say these are Macinaw, yoo-cur, Ip-sal-an-tee, and Soo Saint Marie, no exceptions.
We could go on all day about all the wonderful things that define Michiganders, like their blind devotion to the Lions, their love of Vernor’s Ginger ale, how they like to enjoy Coney dogs and pasties, and crossing the bridge to visit Windsor. You know you’re from Michigan if you do any number of these things.
Michigan is known for its beautiful lakes. It is also one of the largest producers of apples, blueberries and cherries in the nation, as well as the second largest grower of Christmas trees. Michigan is the home to La-Z-Boy recliners and motor city.
And, if you’re a sportsman, you know that november 15th is a sacred day marking the beginning of deer season. Hunters looking for their little hunting paradise can find it for sale in Michigan, where deer are plentiful.